One year ago today Abbie joined our family. We had met her the day before and then I went back the next afternoon, March 3, 2012, to pick her up and we became a family of 5. When I walked into her room, her nanny called her over and took her in to change her.
Her caregivers had prepared a bag of snacks and formula for her. We then went downstairs together and her nanny, the woman who had cared for her every afternoon for the previous 10 months, handed her to me and we got in the van and drove away.
Shortly after we arrived at the hotel, our friend Nancy took these photos. They're beautiful and I'm so grateful for them. Abbie transitioned remarkably well, but in these photos I see her sadness and confusion about her world being turned upside down once again.
One year as a family. While it's been hectic in many ways as we've dealt with Abbie's medical needs, the never-ending juggle of two working parents and three active children, and well, just life, what I'll treasure most are the little moments of normalcy over the past 12 months. It's been a year of lazy weekends around the house:
And becoming a sister:
This is all just crazy to me - I can't remember, nor can I imagine, our lives without her! We love you, Abbie.




I remember her bows that first day. I remember the look in her eyes. I remember walking in the hotel and seeing you two up in the balcony and it taking my breath away. I remember the way she seemed to simultaneous cling to you and arch her back at the same time. Thank you so much for including us in your journey. It was an honor.
ReplyDeletenancy
Amazing photos and blog . . . I can't believe it's been over a year already! Time flies!
ReplyDeletexoxo!
Just stopped by to see how your family is doing! Love all of the sweet photos of the kids! Can't believe its been a year since the China trip. Abbie has grown so much and is just precious! All of our best!!
ReplyDelete